This is a remake of the lovely Caribbean Chicken and Squash Stew Caribbean Chicken and Squash Stew. If you don't have time to stew your stew like that one, but still want that flavorful kick, give this frugal version a try. Excellent over rice.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup celery (1 stalk)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper (or green)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (we prefer petite diced)
- 1 sweet potato, 1/2 inch diced (peeling can stay on)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium heat.
- Chop onion, celery, red or green pepper, and garlic. Add to oil.
- Stir in thyme and bay leaf. Cook over medium to medium low until onions are soft, about 7 minutes. Meanwhile, chop sweet potato into 1/2 inch dice (peeling can stay on).
- Near end of cooking time, add crushed red pepper to pot and stir to mix.
- Add black pepper, tomatoes, broth, sweet potato and chicken to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
- Serve over hot rice.
- Freeze separate from rice if freezing.