Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I had this at an end of the season soccer party last year. It was provided by our Irish hostess and was so delicious that I asked for a copy of the recipe. She copied it from a British magazine her mother sent her, not sure where it came from or when it was originally published. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups pearl barley
- 8 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe nectarines, halved and pitted
- 2 ripe peaches, halved and pitted
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup thinly julienned red onion
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cook pearl barley in water for about 40 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl to cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk together two tablespoons of the oil, lemon and orange juices, ginger and Dijon mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then toss into the barley salad. Stir well.
- Heat the grill, or grill pan over medium high heat. Evenly brush the remaining oil over the fruit. Cook for three minutes on each side or until slightly softened and well marked. Let it cool.
- Cut the fruit into cubes. Add the fruit, chicken, onion and cilantro to the barley, toss gently.