Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is for those who don't want cream of X soups in their recipes. I don't mind them, but I'm trying to cut back a little on the salt and MSG, so here is a chicken and stuffing bake that's quick to prepare, and better for you.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons fine rice flour or 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon potato starch or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (6 ounce) box chicken flavor stuffing mix, dry
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 cups water, divided
- 2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, see note
- 1 teaspoon concentrated chicken base
- *Note: for thinner slicing, keep cheese in block form before using.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups water with stuffing mix, and let stand.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until fragrant and slightly browned--be careful not to let it burn.
- Whisk in the chicken base.
- Whisk in the flour and starch to form a paste.
- Whisk in milk and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil to thicken, and add more milk if you want it thinner.
- Remove from heat.
- Spray bottom of glass 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Spread stuffing over bottom of dish.
- Place chicken breasts in one layer over stuffing.
- With a peeling blade, shave cheese lengthwise to form thin strips, and place over chicken, like a skin.
- Alternately, just slice from the block as usual for thicker slices.
- Pour sauce over chicken, covering evenly.
- Pour 1/2 cup water evenly into corners of pan, so that it seeps under the stuffing.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 30 minutes, checking the chicken for doneness, and cooking longer if needed.