Oh My, this is Good!! My family liked this one! It reminded us of a Thanksgiving Dinner. A rotisserie chicken makes this casserole easier. Stove Top Stuffing with lower sodium is best to use. Juicy delicious and don't forget the cranberry sauce as a side!
- Forget the amounts in the instructions on the stuffing box. (The extra 1/4 cup of water is needed to retain moisture when baked.).
- Boil 1 3/4 cups of water. Add 4 tablespoons of butter. Stir in packet of stuffing mix and cover. Immediately remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut cooked chicken into small pieces. In a 9 x 11 baking dish, place chicken pieces on bottom.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream of chicken soup, sour cream and milk. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Sprinkle stuffing mixture over top.
- Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes until bubbly.
- Serve with cranberry sauce and enjoy!
This was very good! I used Cream of Mushroom soup as that is what I had on hand. Next time, I might add some sauteed shrooms and onions before adding stuffing mixture over the top. I will also add seasonings, such as fresh ground pepper, Italian Seasoning and garlic powder. Everybody loved it! Thanks for posting.
I have tried several chicken and stuffing recipes and thought I had found my keeper but I ran across this recipe and this delicious recipe blew all the others right out the window. I believe it was the addition of the sour cream that put it over the top. I made only one change and that was instead of water I used chicken broth that I had cooked the chicken breasts in that day. My daughter announced THIS one is the keeper now. Thanks so much for posting this easy, delicious recipe.
This is a great homey recipe. I did not use the extra water in the stuffing and it came out perfect.