A zippy Moroccan dish with apricots & jalapenos thrown into the mix. I found this on another site while looking for yet something else to do with the ever-present chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut into serving sizes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced (I used 2)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1Pour olive oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan & heat over medium high heat. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper, add half to the pot and cook about 6 minutes, turning, to brown. Remove and repeat with remaining chicken; set chicken aside.
- 2To pan, add 1/4 cup of the chicken broth; scrape to loosen brown bits. Add onion and saute until soft. Add garlic, jalapeno pepper, cinnamon and ginger. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 3Add squash, apricots, remaining broth and 2 tablespoons of the minced parsley.
- 4Bring to a boil; return chicken to pot, cover and reduce heat.
- 5Simmer about 35 minutes or until chicken is done and squash is tender.
- 6Remove chicken to serving dish.
- 7Increase heat and boil squash mixture until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 8Pour over chicken and sprinkle with remaining parsley and almonds. Garnish with parsley sprigs.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Squash Tagine
Serving Size: 1 (617 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 750.0
- Calories from Fat 407
- Total Fat 45.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 172.5 mg
- Sodium 786.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 49.2 g