Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious! You have to give this a try. Can also be cut into fingerfood sized portions.
Make and share this Chicken and Spinach Turkish Style Pizza recipe from Food.com.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (425 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 kg english spinach
- 2 Turkish bread (44cm)
- 200 g reduced fat feta cheese
- Combine chicken with lemon juice, oil, garlic and half the mint in a bowl.
- Marinate chicken for at least 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and keep the marinade.
- Cook chicken in a non-stick pan until browned on both sides.
- Do not overcook, it can still be a bit pink in the middle.
- Remove the breasts and cut into 1cm slices.
- Heat reserved marinade in same pan.
- Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add undrained tomatoes and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until thickened and saucy.
- Boil, steam or microwave the spinach until wilted and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Top the turkish breads evenly with tomato sauce mixture, spinach, chicken, crumbled feta and remaining mint.
- Bake in hot oven about 20 minutes until lightly browned and hot.
- Cut each bread into 3 pieces to serve 6 or into small squares or slices to make fingerfood.
To me, a Turkish (excluding desserts) dish has to have that cumin seed flavour so I added about 2 tsp of ground cumin to the filling. I made Turkish bread myself and baked the doughs stuffed with the filling, a bit like making calzone from scratch. For this, I had to reduce the volume of the filling a bit and hence did not incorporate crushed tomatoes but it still worked ok and was v. yummy!
This was a great recipe dale! Simple and really tasty. We bought bake-in-the-oven Turkish bread from Woolworths, split it in half and topped it. It was really nice and crunchy as a base. I added about a teaspoon of sugar to the tomatoes, and a little stock powder.