Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A friend of mine made this for me after I had my baby. I have made it ever since.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large lemon
- 4 ounces whipping cream
- 8 ounces parmesan cheese or 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- Cook chicken with 1/4 of lemon juice,olive oil and 1T of Italian seasoning.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions.
- Remove stems from spinach rinse and chop finely.
- Heat 3/4 c whipping cream, 1/2 cheese and rest of lemon juice and 1T of Italian seasoning.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix spinach into sauce.
- Toss chicken,pasta and sauce.
I had chicken and spinach that I was wondering what to do with, and I happened upon this recipe. I don't usually have whipping cream on hand but there was some that needed to be used in my fridge. I used regular Gemelli instead of whole wheat Penne but the rest of the recipe I followed pretty closely (I'm not very precise with measuring sometimes). This dish was really really delicious. My husband and all 3 of my preschool age and under kids loved it. The only thing we thought it needed was a touch of salt and pepper at the table to really bring out all of the flavors. It's a nice fresh tasting dish that we'll certainly be making again. Thanks!
We are creamy pasta lovers, and the simplicity of this dish made it a winner for us on yet another late night when we wanted dinner on the table NOW. I used half and half instead of the whipping cream and much less than 1/4 of a cup of oil to saute the pieces of chicken. The whole wheat pasta added flavor and texture to the dish and really balanced it. This will be repeated often.