Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A triple layered loaf - a spinach layer sandwiched between two chicken layers - which can be served with your favourite side dish. Serve with my mushroom sauce, Creamed Mushrooms on Toast, the warm cucumber from my Salmon Loaf With Cucumber Sauce, or your favourite sauce or salsa or chutney. Any leftover slices can be used as a sandwich filling with salad greens and tzaziki in pita bread. This recipe is typical of pre-1950s English-style Australian cuisine.
Top Review by Sun Green
This had a nice flavor, but was a little dry. I may have overcooked it - I wasn't sure what was meant in the recipe by a moderate oven, so I guessed and set it to 375 degrees. I liked the filling more than the chicken. I may try it again substituting my favorite turkey meatloaf for the chicken mixture. I used a horseradish sauce with this, which went nicely.
- 500 g minced chicken
- 1 cup soft stale bread crumb
- 3⁄4 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 small chicken stock cube
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 3 slices bacon, rinds and all fat removed, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250 g frozen spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
- 1⁄2 cup soft stale bread crumb
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease an 8cm x 26cm loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper. Lightly grease the paper.
- Combine the chicken, breadcumbs, cooked rice, egg, crumbled stock cube, chives and basil in a mixing bowl, mix well until all the ingredients are combined, and set aside.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: over a moderate heat, panfry the bacon pieces and chopped garlic in a small (preferably non-stick) sauté pan until the bacon pieces are beginning to crisp and the garlic to soften (about 2 minutes).
- Drain the thawed spinach in a small strainer, and then squeeze a handful at a time to remove as much mositure as possible.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bacon, garlic and spinach with the other ingredients: the stale breadcrumbs, cheddar and feta. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- ASSEMBLING THE LOAF: spread half the chicken mixture evenly over the base of the loaf pan.
- Press the filling - the spinach mixture - evenly over the chicken mixture.
- Top the spinach mixture by pressing the remainder of the chicken mixture evenly over it. (The mixture will probably reach the top of the pan.).
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with a salad or your favourite side dish, and your favourite sauce.