Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This chicken dish is similar to the ones served at expensive restaurants... great to serve to company, very impressive, and delicious too!
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach, stems removed,and washed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, cut into rings
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (more if desired)
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- garlic powder
- 4 -5 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Steam the spinach until wilted; drain and chop.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter; saute the onions until golden.
- Remove onions with a slotted spoon; mix with spinach, and place in a buttered baking dish/casserole.
- Add 1 Tbsp butter to the skillet.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper (seasoning salt is okay to use) Brown the chicken, and remove to a warm plate.
- Saute the mushrooms in the remaining butter; then remove to plate with the chicken.
- Add the wine to the pan, and then stir in the flour; slowly add in the sour cream, and stir until hot and thickened.
- Add chicken, mushrooms and garlic powder.
- Place on top of spinach.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven, for 20-30 minutes.
Fabulous! Definitely company worthy but also very easy. Quick prep, and even with simple ingredients that you're likely to have on hand, the result is outstanding. I steamed the spinach in a large nonstick skillet, then dried it out and continued with the onions to to save washing a pot LOL. Used light sour cream, otherwise all ingredients as stated. The sauce is wonderful, creamy and flavorful and the bed of steamed spinach looks quite fancy and tastes even better. I enjoyed the cheese, but agree that the sauce is quite wonderful on its own and it could be skipped. I really like dienia's suggestion of Havarti, too, since it's one of our favorites. Thanks, Kittencal, for a great recipe!
This recipe is simply outstanding! it is better than any dish served in a restaurant, and really deserves 100 stars plus! this I will make many times! Thanks.
This was absolutely delicious & definitely restaurant fare! I used my ricer to squeeze the water out of the spinach, increased the amount of mushrooms & substituted minced garlic for the powder. I did, however, "forget" the cheese. This goes into my repeater binder - thanx Kitten! — Mar 5, 2005 Editted: I included the cheese when I made this for the 2nd time last nite; however, I will probably omit it in the future as the sauce is wonderful on its own! Thanx for another delicious dinner Kitten!