Recipe by Brian Holley
A wonderful way to use spinach, cooked with the chicken and flavoured with chillies and spices. My daughter eats this so often she has muscles like Popeye--it's good.
Top Review by Andtototoo!
Another excellent chicken curry recipe of yours. I did make several changes though. I increased the ground coriander to 1 Table, increased the chili powder to 1 tsp. and did not add the 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds as I don't like a very strong fennel flavor. I deboned the chicken after the curry had cooled down and then added sour cream at the end, since I didn't have yogurt. I think that this curry is also very good without the dairy and I might eliminate it next time.
- 3 lbs chicken, jointed and skinned
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 fluid ounces water
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 dried red chilies, chopped
- 1 lb fresh spinach or 8 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken so that the legs are separated from the thighs, cut each breast in two lengthwise.
- Mix together in a bowl the turmeric, fennel, coriander and chili powder with 3 tbsp water to make a paste.
- Heat the oil over medium heat and fry the onions, ginger and garlic, till the onions are brown, 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and fry the spice paste stir and cook for 5 minutes To the bowl in which the spices were mixed add 3 tbsp water, stir to remove all traces of the spices and add the water to the pan. Stir and cook 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the chicken, stir and fry for 4 minutes, till the chicken changes colour.
- Add 1 tsp of the salt and the water, bring to the boil, cover with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a separate pan and add the garlic, curry leaves, cumin, fennel and red chillies. Stir and add the spinach and 1/2 tsp salt. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the chicken mix well, cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes.
- Mix in the yogurt and garam masala stir well to blend the yogurt with the chicken and spinach . Cook uncovered 6 minutes, stirring frequently.