Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
In ‘Mary Mac’s Tea Room’
- 1 whole large chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 14.79 ml salted butter
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 14.79 ml water
- 4.92 ml salted butter, melted
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- Place the chicken in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat.
- Decrease the heat to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour.
- Add the butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine the egg, 1 tablespoon water, the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and the melted butter in a bowl.
- Slowly add the flour, stirring until the mixture forms a ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Turn the chilled dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times (add additional flour ot make the dough easy to handle).
- Roll out to a 1/8-inch thickness and cut into strips 1 by 4 inches long.
- Bring the chicken to a boil over med-high heat and slowly lower the strips of dough into the liquid (keeping the temperature at a boil will help prevent the dumplings from sticking together).
- When all the dumplings are in the pot, decrease the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the heavy cream.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.