1 hr 30 mins
In ‘Mary Mac’s Tea Room’
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the chicken in a pot and cover with water.
- 2Bring to a boil over med-high heat.
- 3Decrease the heat to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour.
- 4Add the butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper.
- 5Meanwhile, combine the egg, 1 tablespoon water, the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and the melted butter in a bowl.
- 6Slowly add the flour, stirring until the mixture forms a ball.
- 7Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- 8Turn the chilled dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times (add additional flour ot make the dough easy to handle).
- 9Roll out to a 1/8-inch thickness and cut into strips 1 by 4 inches long.
- 10Bring the chicken to a boil over med-high heat and slowly lower the strips of dough into the liquid (keeping the temperature at a boil will help prevent the dumplings from sticking together).
- 11When all the dumplings are in the pot, decrease the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- 12Just before serving, stir in the heavy cream.
- 13Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Southern Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.3
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 91.2 mg
- Sodium 507.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 13.2 g