Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Use a dry smoked cooked sausage for this, and please try not to omit the smoked sausage and the saffron, it is what makes this rice dish!
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups dry smoked sausage, sliced about 1/2-inch diagonallly (can use more)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups rice (use short grain rice for this)
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups cooked chicken, cut into chunks (i just use the meat from one whole cooked chicken)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large paella pan or oven-proof casserole dish (don't worry about a lid!).
- Add in sliced smoked sausage and cook stirring until browned (about 2 minutes).
- Add in onion, garlic, red bell pepper, paprika, saffron and crushed red pepper flakes (if using) cook, stirring for about 3-4 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Add in rice, saffron and bay leaves; stir to combine to coat the rice.
- Add in the stock; bring to a boil, then add in the cooked chicken, frozen peas and chopped tomato; stir to combine, then season with salt and black pepper.
- Transfer the pot or casserole dish to the oven.
- Cook uncovered until the rice is tender and no liquid remains (about 20-25 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and fluff with a fork.
- Serve right away.