Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
from Food and Wine's 'One-dish Meals'
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) packagesliced frozen okra
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 3⁄4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree (one 15-oz can)
- 1 quart canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-in . slices
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-in pieces
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain rice
- In a large pot, heat the oil over moderate heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking, until starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low and stir in the onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook until starting to soften, about 7 minutes. Add the okra bay leaf, thyme, oregano, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and the smoked sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the chicken and cook until just done, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Remove the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, stir rice into a medium pot of boiling salted water and boil until just done, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain. Put a mound of rice in the center of each bowl. Ladle the gumbo around the rice.