Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A piquant snack from the New Orleans Times-Picayune. French baguettes may be substituted if you cannot find the smaller rolls.
- 8 pistolette buns (palm sized, football shaped brown and serve bread rolls)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted (not spread or tub product)
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed through garlic press
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled, deveined and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Hollow out buns from bottom.
- Beat egg and water and brush inside and outside of each bun.
- Bake in oven until brown and crisp; remove and let cool.
- Add garlic to melted butter and simmer five minutes on low.
- Brush each bun with garlic butter mixture and sprinkle with parmesan; set aside.
- Dice chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Sauté chicken and shrimp in 1/3 cup butter until done.
- Remove from skillet and drain well.
- In same skillet, add remaining butter and sauté onions, celery, garlic and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove and drain well.
- Combine all the drained ingredients back into skillet.
- Add drained mushrooms and sherry; stir until well incorporated; set aside.
- Melt butter over low heat.
- Gradually add flour, salt and pepper, stirring until smooth.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat.
- Add both cheeses and Worcestershire.
- Mix well, until cheeses are melted.
- Add this sauce to chicken mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon into individual bread loaves and warm in broiler for five minutes.
- Serve immediately.