Recipe by Kate in Ontario
This is quite rich and lovely for entertaing. It can be made ahead and refrigerated 24 hours ahead. It may also be frozen. Thaw before baking. It goes well with a light salad such as Mandarin Salad.
- 3 lbs meaty chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 -5 sprigs parsley
- 1⁄2 lb frozen uncooked shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
Sauce and Crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken in a large pot with 8 C of water.
- Add pepper, parsley and vegetables.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Let cool, discard skin and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Strain stock and reserve 2 cups-save the rest for other uses.
- In small pot combine shrimp, wine and a pinch of salt.
- Cover and bring to boil; remove from heat.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 of cooking liquid.
- Sauce: In heavy saucepan melt butter.
- Whisk in flour and cook about 1 minute.
- Add reserved chicken stock and shrimp liquid.
- Bring to boil stirring and add 3/4 C of whipping cream sirring often for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk together egg yolks and remaining cream and add to mixture.
- Stir in parmesan.
- Season with pepper, nutmeg, and lemon juice Add parsley.
- Combine sauce with chicken and shrimp and mix lightly.
- Turn into 8 C dish sprayed with no-stick spray.
- Combine crumbs, 2 T parmesan, almonds and butter.
- Sprinkle over top.
- Bake in 400 oven or until golden and bubbling.