Recipe by mliss29
This is from a magazine called Woman's World. I sometimes make it with no chicken and a pound of shrimp. I recommend chopping up all the ingredients for the gumbo, mixing up your favorite corn bread and popping it in the oven to bake, and then cooking the gumbo.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb chicken thigh, cut into 3/4 inch pieces (boneless & skinless)
- 1 cup frozen cut okra
- 1⁄2 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, red pepper, celery, and garlic. Saute until onion is softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Cook, stirring about 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add okra and cook 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until chicken, okra, and shrimp are just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Tabasco and serve.