Recipe by Southern Polar Bear
I love finding and trying new recipes on Recipezaar. Unfortunately, some of the old family favorites tend to get "temporarily forgotten and misplaced" - like this one! This is from Chef Joe Caruso of Caruso's Italian Ristorante (with a few slight modifications).
Top Review by Kiera K.
Just wondering... did you even bother to Google 'carbonara' anything? Chicken, shrimp, etc... anything? While this was a pretty tasty dish that I may/may not make again (and that my girlfriend was quite pleased with because it incorporated 3 of her favorite meats) this was most definiely NOT carbonara. Quiche or frittata casserole, more like. I'm sorry, but again as tasty as it was - and as much as it will make a good breakfast tomorrow - if you're looking for a chicken and shrimp carbonara recipe this isn't it! Do yourself a favor, Google the term and find another recipe. However, because it was still pretty enjoyable, I give this 3 stars for overall taste.
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1⁄4 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 8 slices bacon or 8 slices italian pancetta, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly flour chicken cubes and shrimp.
- Put 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet, then heat over medium heat.
- Add chicken and shrimp; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until no pink remains in the chicken. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat in the same skillet.
- Add bacon or pancetta and onion; cook about 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add chicken, shrimp, salt and white pepper; cook 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add white wine; cook approximately 2 minutes or until wine has reduced by one-half.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, cream, and Italian parsley together until well blended.
- Add Parmesan cheese.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour chicken and shrimp mixture into the egg mixture.
- Stir well.
- Pour into a casserole shaped Pyrex baking dish.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it begins to golden around the edges and the top.
- Lightly dust top with a little bit of cracked black pepper and Parmesan cheese.