Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve over spinach pasta, rice, or orzo.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (6 -8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed through a press
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large skillet; add in the chicken and mushrooms; cook over med-low heat until golden, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Add in the garlic, salt, and pepper; stir until blended.
- Transfer chicken and mushrooms to a side dish; add wine to the skillet.
- Increase heat to high; boil the wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, until reduced to a thin film.
- Add the tomatoes; heat to boiling, breaking the whole tomatoes into pieces with the side of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Return the chicken, mushrooms, and any juices to the skillet; heat to a gentle simmer, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook over med-low until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Add in parsley and fresh oregano or thyme.
- Transfer chicken to serving platter; boil the tomato sauce over high heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon tomato sauce over the chicken and serve immediately.