Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My friend's mother made a version of this for his 21st birthday (many years ago!) At the time, it was the most exotic thing I'd ever had! Time has passed and it still stands up! Great fresh flavours - fab on a hot day!
- 6 skinless chicken drumsticks (3 skinless chicken breast can be substituted)
- 3 cm fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 red capsicum
- 1⁄2 yellow capsicum
- 1 carrot
- 2 green shallots
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Roast the drumsticks in moderate oven for about one hour or until just cooked through - do not overcook. (If using breasts, poach lightly in water or stock).
- Let chicken cool and then remove flesh from the bones, and cut into strips.
- Cut the capsicums and carrot lengthwise into 5 cm strips.
- Chop the shallot finely.
- Finely dice the giner.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, sherry, soy sauce, honey and sesame oil to make the dressing.
- Combine chicken, vegetables, ginger and dressing, toss and sprinkle with sesame seeds.