Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Nigella Lawson. She says it was inspired by sage and onion stuffing. This recipe is easy and makes great comfort food, but the best part is the way it smells in the oven. It makes the whole house smell amazing. Sometimes I substitute chicken thigh meat with good results. This needs to marinate overnight.
- 1 -2 yellow onion, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- ground pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 lbs chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 12 banger sausages (can sub Italian sausage)
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage leaves
- The night before, add the chicken and onions to a storage bag.
- Juice the lemon into the bag, cut it into 8 pieces, and toss all the pieces into the bag.
- Add the olive oil, mustard, dried sage, pepper, and Worcestershire. Squish it around to combine, and seal it up.
- Refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days total.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine the chicken and marinade with the sausages in a roasting pan, and when it has come to room temperature, place it in the oven.
- Cook about 75 minutes, turning the sausages halfway through.
Wonderful! Full of flavor, and a snap to throw together the night before. I will leave out the sausages last time, as we preferred the chicken. It was just too good. Thanks!
An excellent dish that is full of flavor. This caught my eye on TV, and I knew I had to try it. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and marinated overnight. I subbed mild Italian sausage and actually used poultry seasoning for the dried sage (still used fresh sage, though) and was very pleased with the results. I served this dish with Recipe #284731 for a really great dinner. Thanks so much for posting. I will make this again.
Outstanding! I found this recipe in her book "Feast" and had to try it. I used chicken thighs with andouille sausage, for a little bit of heat. I marinated the chicken for two days and followed the recipe to the word. This is so easy, crispy, flavorful, aromatic, and so very delicious! In fact, a caterer friend of mine tried a piece of chicken and immediately demanded the recipe. This is a ten star recipe, by far!