Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Modified recipe to make it fuller and with more taste. Absolutely a great dish to share with friends and family.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2-1 lb sweet Italian sausage (or hot )
- 1 medium green bell pepper (or red)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons capers (drained of fluid)
- 1 cup celery
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Chop up celery.
- Cut green (or red ) pepper into 2 inch strips.
- Mince onion.
- Cut chicken into strips.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned Remove the chicken; set aside. Reduce the heat to medium.
- In the same skillet, cook the sausage, peppers, chopped onions and garlic. Stir until the sausage is browned, the onion is translucent and the pepper is tender.
- Stir in the diced tomatos, water, tomato sauce, capers, cumin, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning.
- Heat to boliling and return the chicken to the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook about 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the 1 tablespoon cornstarch with the 2 tablespoons of water. Stir into the sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and continue cooking, stirring occcasionally until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles or rice.
Just absolutely wonderful. I made if for company, my kids, and even brought it to the office and they went wwwwillllldddd !!!! I did use Perdue precut chicken strips instead of cutting the chicken up myself to save time and adjusted the cumin a bit. Everyone's fav dish and will become a regular with my family.