Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
This is soo delish--you have to give it a try. It's one of my favorite jambalayas.
- 1 small fryer
- 1 stalk celery & leaves
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb ham, cubed (smoked)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- In a large pot, cover the chicken with water; add the celery, onion, and garlic.
- Boil until tender, about 1 hour. Reserve stock.
- Remove the meat from bones set aside.
- In 5 cups of stock, cook rice until all liquid is absorbed. about 25 minutes.
- In Dutch oven, fry sausage and ham until lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the meat.
- Add the butter to the saucepan and sauté onions pepper and parsley until tender about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, sausage, and ham. Stir in the minced garlic, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
- Add the rice and mix thoroughly. Cook over low heat 15 minutes stirring frequently. Remove the bay leaf and serve.