Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this from a friend who was doing Sugar Busters. It's delicious, we make it quite frequently. It's very flexible..I don't put any cayenne or Tabasco in if the kids are eating with us, but I do serve cayenne & Tabasco at the table. If you use "instant" or parboiled rice, this comes together even quicker! Prep time is an estimate...I usually just do it as I go along.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic (I usually use 5-6)
- 1 bunch scallion, trimmed and chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced andouille sausages or 1 1⁄2 cups kielbasa or 1 1⁄2 cups smoked sausage
- 1 (28 ounce) cancanned diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup chicken broth (1/2 can)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup brown rice
- Melt butter in deep skillet or saucepan.
- Saute onion, pepper, celery and garlic and cook over medium-high heat until tender.
- Stir in scallions, chicken and sausage.
- Saute 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except rice, then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in rice, cover and cook 45-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
This is a great recipe. I used olive oil instead of butter and turkey kielbasa. I made mine spicier with extra cayenne pepper and tabasco. Cooking time for me was 45 minutes. Went over very well with my family. Thanks for the recipe.
This is a great recipe. My Brother and his family loved it. I did add a bit more spice and used white rice. I sure hope I did not mess with the recipe to much with that one change. But I have you know I had no left overs. Side of Salad and some bread squared off the meal. Thank You. OH Yeah...I had everything on had. Hugs