Recipe by momofpjc
I got this from a friend who was doing Sugar Busters. It's delicious, we make it quite frequently. It's very flexible..I don't put any cayenne or Tabasco in if the kids are eating with us, but I do serve cayenne & Tabasco at the table. If you use "instant" or parboiled rice, this comes together even quicker! Prep time is an estimate...I usually just do it as I go along.
Top Review by Lisa2222
This is a great recipe. I used olive oil instead of butter and turkey kielbasa. I made mine spicier with extra cayenne pepper and tabasco. Cooking time for me was 45 minutes. Went over very well with my family. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic (I usually use 5-6)
- 1 bunch scallion, trimmed and chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced andouille sausages or 1 1⁄2 cups kielbasa or 1 1⁄2 cups smoked sausage
- 1 (28 ounce) cancanned diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup chicken broth (1/2 can)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in deep skillet or saucepan.
- Saute onion, pepper, celery and garlic and cook over medium-high heat until tender.
- Stir in scallions, chicken and sausage.
- Saute 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except rice, then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in rice, cover and cook 45-60 minutes or until rice is tender.