Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 4 ounces smoked sausage (1 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast (1 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (finely chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups green peppers (finely chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery (finely chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups instant rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup scallion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- In a large pot, sauté sausage in one teaspoon of the oil over med-high heat for five minutes Add one teaspoon oil and chicken.
- Sauté for five more minutes.
- Remove sausage and chicken from pot, set aside.
- Add remaining oil, onions, peppers and celery.
- Sauté until lightly browned.
- Add bay leaves, salt, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, Tabasco, and garlic powder and continue cooking for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add rice and tomato sauce and mix well.
- Cook five minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Return chicken and sausage to the pot.
- Add scallions and parsley and cook for five minutes longer.