Recipe by KU~Kristi
This is an awesome recipe for the cajun speciality. It makes 12 servings easily. Great for a sports party!
- 3 cups andouille sausages, sliced
- 3 cups smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups long grain rice (not minute rice)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a dutch oven pot of at least 8-10 quart capacity. Preheat over medium high heat. Add sausage to pan and saute, stirring often to avoid sticking, until completely warmed and slightly browned. Drain off excess grease from pan.
- Add onions to pan. Saute for 15 minutes until onions are translucent and soft but not browned, over medium heat.
- Add Garlic, saute 1 minute.
- Add thigh meat to pot and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Stir often. Be careful not to overcook the thigh meat so it is shredding.
- Add the thyme, basil, and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- (At this point, it is best to cool and refrigerate for a day or two to let the flavors meld together. If not just proceed as below -- ).
- Add chicken broth to the concentrated Jambalaya mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, stirring to mix with the meats. Reduce heat to medium. Stir the rice for about 5 minutes.
- Fold in the parsley. Be careful that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover for 20 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID.
- Stir to combine the cooked rice and sausage/chicken mixture. Serve with hot sauce. AMAZING!