Recipe by MKCMOM
I don't pretend to be an expert at making Gumbo. However, I searched everywhere for a recipe that my family would like. This takes a lot of work but is very tasty. I realize that "credible" gumbo is not made with Okra but...what else do you do with all the Okra everyone gives ya?
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons gumbo file
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 lbs chicken, cut up
- 1 cup oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (or andouille)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup okra, chopped (or more if you like)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 cups rice, cooked (I cook mine in a rice cooker while preparing other ingredients)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp onion powder; then rub mixture on the chicken pieces and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup flour in a bag and add chicken pieces; Shake well to coat the chicken. Using 1/2 cup of oil, fry the chicken in a skillet until crust is brown on both sides (about 5 minutes). Remove chicken from skillet and drain.
- In the same pan, cook the sausage until browned. Remove from heat, drain and set aside with the chicken.
- Mix 3/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup of oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat and stir to mix. Continue cooking and constantly stirring until the roux is a dark chocolate brown. (you might need some help, this part can take 30 min). Do not cook on too high of a heat setting. If it begins to cook too fast, remove from the heat and keep stirring mixture.
- Add chopped vegetables and stir thoroughly. Mixture will be sticky. Cook for about 5 minutes. (adding the veggies stops the browning process).
- Add the chicken stock 1 cup at a time until it is well blended. Add the remaining seasonings, paprika, file', chicken pieces and sausage. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Serve over rice. Serves 8.