Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Cut up chicken, remove skin if you like. Dredge the chicken with flour salt and pepper.
- Fry the chicken until brown.
- Slice up a pound of the link sausage For a hotter sausage, try the Louisiana 'Andouille', if a vailable. After the chicken is browned, place sausage in the same skillet -- use a heavy iron one. Brown the sausage on both sides.
- Save the grease from chicken and sausage. Fry the tomato, onion and okra in about 2 Tbsp shortening or oil, until they become tender.
- Make a roux with 2 tsp oil and 2 tsp flour, stir and brown over a medium-low heat until the roux is as dark as possible without burning it. Do not burn the roux, just make it real dark.
- Place chicken and sausage in the roux, stir a bit. Then place all ingredients into a heavy, deep iron pan, add water and cook about 2 hours.
- Cook slow, add water if needed.
- The okra will thicken the gumbo as it cooks.