Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This is the most tomato-ey gumbo you'll ever have! I believe it originates from a River Road Recipe cookbook back in the early 2000s. Can be used as a side dish or a main dish.
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml flour
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3-4 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 453.59 g can tomatoes, chopped
- 473.18 ml organic chicken broth or 473.18 ml chicken stock
- 946.0 ml water
- 566.99 g okra, fresh or frozen
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml bay leaf
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 453.59-680.38 g chicken, diced
- 453.59-680.38 g andouille sausage, sliced
- 473.18-709.77 ml uncooked rice
- 0.25 ml gumbo file
- Brown flour in oil in a heavy soup pot, making a dirty brown 'chocolate roux' over low-medium or medium heat, 5-10 minutes depending on wares used. Do not burn.
- Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and saute. Stir constantly until soft.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, chicken broth, water, okra, and seasonings. Stir and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add chicken and sausage, and cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice in rice cooker or stovetop.
- Center a scoop of hot rice in individual bowls. Ladle gumbo over rice.