Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 40 mins
This is the most tomato-ey gumbo you'll ever have! I believe it originates from a River Road Recipe cookbook back in the early 2000s. Can be used as a side dish or a main dish.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (1 lb) can tomato, chopped
- 2 cups organic chicken broth or 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 quart water
- 20 ounces okra, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb chicken, diced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 -3 cups uncooked rice
- 1 dash gumbo file
- Brown flour in oil in a heavy soup pot, making a dirty brown 'chocolate roux' over low-medium or medium heat, 5-10 minutes depending on wares used. Do not burn.
- Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and saute. Stir constantly until soft.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, chicken broth, water, okra, and seasonings. Stir and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add chicken and sausage, and cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice in rice cooker or stovetop.
- Center a scoop of hot rice in individual bowls. Ladle gumbo over rice.