Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is great comfort food and so easy to make! I serve it over white rice with warm crusty bread on the side. Enjoy!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 5 links andouille sausages, sliced to your desired thickness
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups of fresh sliced okra or 5 ounces frozen okra
- Season the chicken with Cajun seasoning.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot on medium.
- Add chicken and sausage to the pot, stirring occassionally until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove meat with a slotted spoon, reserving the drippings.
- Reduce heat to med-low, add flour to the drippings and whisk constantly for a few minutes until the color of the roux turns brown. (be careful not to burn and add more olive oil if needed).
- Add the garlic, onions, peppers and diced tomatoes, stir together. It will begin to thicken immediately from the roux.
- Add the stock, return the meat to the pot and increase heat to high to bring to a boil for a couple minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, don't cover, stir occasionally for 1.5 hours.
- Stir the okra into the reduced liquids and simmer for a 1/2 hour. (if you add the okra earlier it will fall apart).