Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a family recipe and I think you will find the chicken and sausage complement each other quite nicely in this dish.
- 2 lbs zucchini, cut into 3/4 inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces small fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into slices
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 1 (15 ounce) jar roasted sweet red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sauté the zucchini in the 2 tablespoons of hot olive oil in large skillet over high heat for 3 minutes or until browned. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper; stir well. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium high. Add the sausage and cumin to the skillet; cook 8 minutes or until browned and no longer pink. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet. Cut sausage into ¾-inch pieces, set aside.
- Add butter and next 3 ingredients to skillet; cook stirring often, until the onions are tender and mushroom liquid evaporates. Remove the vegetables from the skillet with slotted spoon.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in same skillet over medium high heat.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour. Cook the chicken in hot oil for 8 minutes or until done turning once. Stir in the vermouth, the roasted red peppers, reserved sliced sausage, reserves vegetables, parsley, bay leaves, basil, and thyme. Bring to boil and simmer uncovered 5 minutes; discard bay leaf and serve.