Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A New Orleans inspired Jambalya
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 hot Italian sausages, cooked to instructions
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 vidalia onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 garlic cloves
- 14 ounces chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- white rice (enough for 5-6 servings)
- more chicken stock (enough for 5-6 servings)
- In a really large skillet melt butter into oil.
- Cube chicken and add to hot skillet.
- While chicken is starting to cook, cube onion, peppers and jalepino.
- Once chicken has been cooked on all sides add vegetables. Salt and pepper.
- Put two bay leaves in skillet and cover 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves and add 2 T flour and mix well, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stock and tomatoes, mixing well to break up raux.
- Add 1 t cumin, 1 t red pepper flakes, and minced garlic.
- Let cook for ten minutes uncovered.
- Serve over a bed of white rice made in chicken stock. Use thyme to garnish.
- Should serve 6 but usually 5 for me.