Recipe by pewpew1982
This is the recipe from the cover photo of the 20th anniversary issue Sept 2007 of Cooking Light. It looks AMAZING!!
Top Review by Messy44
I found this in Cooking Light and have made it twice. Very good, a bit of a change from the usual chicken pot pie. Made it without meat tonight, just vegetables, and I think I like it even better. Thanks for posting!
- 3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup cubed peeled baking potato
- 1 cup cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup cubed peeled celeriac (celery root)
- 1 cup thick slices parsnip
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large Dutch oven.
- add peas and next 5 ingredients (through onions) to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes.
- add chicken, cook for 5 minutesor until chicken is done.
- remove chicken and vegetables from broth with a slotted spoon, place in large bowl.
- increase heat to medium.
- lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife, place all but 1 tablespoon flour in a medium bowl.
- gardually add milk to bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- add milk mixture to broth, cook for 5 minutes or until thickened, sitrring frequently.
- stir in chicken mixture, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- spoon mixture into an 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon flour on work surface, roll dough into a 13x9 inch rectangle. place dough over chicken mixture, pressing to seal at edges of dish. cut small slits into dough to allow steam to escape.
- coat dough lightly with cooking spray.
- place dish on a foil lined baking sheet.
- bake at 400 degrees for 16 minutes or until pastry is browned and filling is bubbly.