Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is our favorite one dish meal, served in bowls with hot biscuits. A great comfort food.
Make and share this Chicken and Rolled Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- *Use a large pot with a heavy lid.
- Place chicken, water, bouillon, celery, onion and pepper together in pot.
- Cook, covered for 1 hour. (After cooking, I let contents remain in covered pot for about an hour to cool).
- As soon as chicken is done cooking, remove 1 cup of cooking liquid from pan and allow to cool so that it is about room temperature.
- In a bowl mix self-rising flour and the 1 cup cooled broth.
- You may need to add a little more flour if mixture is too sticky.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness (I divide dough into 1/3's to roll out, it's easier to do smaller amount) Cut rolled dough into 1 inch strips, then cut strips into 3 inch pieces.
- Place cut strips on a cookie sheet and place in freezer for 10-20 minutes.
- While dumplings are chilling, remove chicken from pot.
- Heat broth in pot to a boil.
- Remove dumplings from freezer and drop into boiling broth, after all the dumplings are in pot lower heat so that they are just simmering.
- Cover pot, and cook for twenty minutes.
- Do not uncover to peek!
- While dumplings are cooking, cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- After dumplings have cooked for 20 minutes, add chicken back to pot.
- (I add a little parsley, at this time) and serve.
THE BEST CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE! I was skeptical of trying a recipe that had no picture-because I like the dumplings that have no vegetables and looks white & creamy-not liquidy and broth like. But I decided to try and am SUPER happy I did because I just found the recipe I will use from here on out! Everyone loved them! They walked around calling me "Betty Crocker" and saying the same, that they were the best ever. The dumplings are fluffy-and no salt is needed. They have the exact flavor on their own. The only thing different I did, was that I skipped the freezer part. I didn't have time to wait to put the dumplings in the freezer. I just cut and dumped in,,,turned out great! Also, I did not use celery, onions, or parsley. Thank you for an EXCELLENT recipe!
I mainly wanted your rolled dumpling method. I had boiled a whole chicken and used homemade broth from my freezer to have ample broth. The tip to freeze the dumplings prior to cooking was a great help as I used to make the pastry and let it air dry all day to prevent sticking together while cooking. Great recipe! Jean
WOW Yamma! This is the quintessential chicken and dumplings recipe!! Didn't change a thing..AWESOME!