Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is our favorite one dish meal, served in bowls with hot biscuits. A great comfort food.
Make and share this Chicken and Rolled Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- *Use a large pot with a heavy lid.
- Place chicken, water, bouillon, celery, onion and pepper together in pot.
- Cook, covered for 1 hour. (After cooking, I let contents remain in covered pot for about an hour to cool).
- As soon as chicken is done cooking, remove 1 cup of cooking liquid from pan and allow to cool so that it is about room temperature.
- In a bowl mix self-rising flour and the 1 cup cooled broth.
- You may need to add a little more flour if mixture is too sticky.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness (I divide dough into 1/3's to roll out, it's easier to do smaller amount) Cut rolled dough into 1 inch strips, then cut strips into 3 inch pieces.
- Place cut strips on a cookie sheet and place in freezer for 10-20 minutes.
- While dumplings are chilling, remove chicken from pot.
- Heat broth in pot to a boil.
- Remove dumplings from freezer and drop into boiling broth, after all the dumplings are in pot lower heat so that they are just simmering.
- Cover pot, and cook for twenty minutes.
- Do not uncover to peek!
- While dumplings are cooking, cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- After dumplings have cooked for 20 minutes, add chicken back to pot.
- (I add a little parsley, at this time) and serve.