1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is our favorite one dish meal, served in bowls with hot biscuits. A great comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1*Use a large pot with a heavy lid.
- 2Place chicken, water, bouillon, celery, onion and pepper together in pot.
- 3Cook, covered for 1 hour. (After cooking, I let contents remain in covered pot for about an hour to cool).
- 4As soon as chicken is done cooking, remove 1 cup of cooking liquid from pan and allow to cool so that it is about room temperature.
- 5In a bowl mix self-rising flour and the 1 cup cooled broth.
- 6You may need to add a little more flour if mixture is too sticky.
- 7On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness (I divide dough into 1/3's to roll out, it's easier to do smaller amount) Cut rolled dough into 1 inch strips, then cut strips into 3 inch pieces.
- 8Place cut strips on a cookie sheet and place in freezer for 10-20 minutes.
- 9While dumplings are chilling, remove chicken from pot.
- 10Heat broth in pot to a boil.
- 11Remove dumplings from freezer and drop into boiling broth, after all the dumplings are in pot lower heat so that they are just simmering.
- 12Cover pot, and cook for twenty minutes.
- 13Do not uncover to peek!
- 14While dumplings are cooking, cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- 15After dumplings have cooked for 20 minutes, add chicken back to pot.
- 16(I add a little parsley, at this time) and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Rolled Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.2
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 45.6 mg
- Sodium 908.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 24.5 g