1/1 Photo of Chicken and Rolled Dumplings
1 hr 15 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
Southern comfort classic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Stock and chicken
- 2 cups self-rising flour (or Self-Rising Flour)
- 1/3 cup shortening (or butter)
- 3/4 milk (or buttermilk)
- salt, pepper, and rosemary to taste and flour (about 1/4 cup for thickening)
- 2Boil stock ingredients for 45 minutes to an hour until chicken is 170F internal temperature and remove to cool.
- 3Strain stock and de-fat or refrigerate for use later.
- 4Remove chicken from bone and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 5For the dumplings, cut the shortening or butter into the flour using a fork or pastry cutter until it's well distributed and in small pieces.
- 6Add milk and mix with a fork until well mixed.
- 7Turn out onto a floured board and knead a few times (skip this step if just making biscuits). Roll out to about 1/8 inch thick on a floured board and cut into stips about 1.5 inches wide and anh length you like. If the dough resists rolling by springing back, wait 5 minutes and roll again.
- 8To make the dish, return the stock to a boil and add chicken and then the dumplings one at a time. Season with salt and pepper to taste and thicken if necessary with a slurry of flour and milk or water to desired thickness. Carrots and celery can be added as well as green peas if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Rolled Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.9
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 72.9 mg
- Sodium 309.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 20.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: