Recipe by Huskergirl
Layer wine-marinated chicken, creamy chevre cheese, roasted sweet peppers, and fresh basil for a simple sandwich supper they'll love. From BHG website. I will be trying this one soon. Posted for ZWT4 Italy.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 slices Italian bread, 1-inch bias-cut slices
- 1⁄4 cup semi- soft cheese, with herbs or 1⁄4 cup semisoft chevre cheese
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, cut into strips (about one 7-ounce jar)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil or 1⁄2 cup watercress or 1⁄2 cup baby spinach leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- For marinade, in a small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, thyme, salt, and crushed red pepper. Reserve 2 tablespoons of mixture; set aside.
- Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap; pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Place in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Add remaining marinade; seal bag. Marinate at room temperature about 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour.
- Lightly grease the rack of an indoor electric grill or lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Place chicken on the grill rack. If using a covered grill, close the lid. Grill until chicken is no longer pink (170°F).
- Brush cut sides of bread with reserved marinade. Place bread, cut sides down, on grill rack. If using a covered grill, close the lid. Grill until lightly toasted.
- To serve, place a chicken breast on each grilled bread slice. Spread with cheese. Top each sandwich with sweet pepper and basil. Makes 4 sandwiches.