Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine.
Make and share this Chicken and Rice With Saffron recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, with skin and bone
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled saffron thread
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas (not thawed)
- chopped flat leaf parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- Rinse the chicken well and pat completely dry. Season with salt and pepper. In a large (12-inch) skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat until the butter foams and subsides, then add the chicken and brown well on all sides, 10-12 minutes. Transfer chicken to plates and discard all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the pan.
- Lower heat to medium and add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until golden, 5-6 minutes.
- Add rice and stir well to coat with fat, cooking for an additional minute. Add broth, water, saffron, and bay leaf, and bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Taste for seasoning. Return chicken to pan, nestling into the rice until half-submerged. Pour in any juices from the plate and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is nearly tender. If it is not yet tender, add boiling water as needed to keep moist.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the peas. Allow to rest, covered with a kitchen towel, until the rice absorbs any remaining liquid and becomes fluffy. Discard bay leaf. Serve with parsley to garnish, if desired.