1 hr 30 mins
This is an old favorite traditional Cuban dish. Serve with white fluffy rice and fried plantains. This recipe is from About latin Caribbean Food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lime
- 4 lbs chicken (cut into 6 pieces)
- salt for seasoning
- fresh ground pepper for seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 2 ripe tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 hot pepper (your choice, seeded and diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh pineapple (chopped with its juice)
- 4 tablespoons golden rum (optional)
- 1In a non-reactive dish (one that won't react to acidic foods), grate the lime rind and squeeze the juice from the lime.
- 2Rub the juice and rind into the chicken, then season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- 3Let marinate for thirty minutes.
- 4Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken pieces on all sides.
- 5Transfer the chicken to a heavy pot that is large enough to hold the chicken in layers.
- 6In the remaining oil still in the frying pan, sauté the onion and garlic until tender, not brown; add tomatoes, hot pepper, oregano, and bay leaf.
- 7Cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and blend the flavors.
- 8Pour the mixture over the chicken and add enough chicken stock to just cover the chicken pieces.
- 9Partially cover the pot and cook over low heat until the chicken is tender. About forty-five minutes.
- 10While the chicken is cooking, put the chunked pineapple and juice in a small sauce pan and cook over medium-low to medium heat until it is reduced by half. If you are using the rum, add it after the mixture is reduced and continue to cook for two more minutes.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Rice With Pineapple ( Pollo Con Pina)
Serving Size: 1 (495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.6
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 139.2 mg
- Sodium 190.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 36.3 g