Recipe by RockinChef
A kind of classic kind of not chicken and rice soup. It may take all day in a slow cooker to make, but believe me, when it's time to eat, you will want it SOO bad you won't be able to stand yourself. ENJOY!
Top Review by larliepop
Would have been better had I used only 1/2 cup of rice. I used 1 cup because I thought 3 cups would be too much. It was more like rice stew. Good flavor--I added more pepper and less salt and omitted the milk. Think I'll stick to classic chicken and rice.
- 2 lbs skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 4 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch saffron (OPTIONAL)
- 3 cups wild rice or 3 cups white rice or 3 cups brown rice, uncooked and not instant,and you may mix them
- 1 can evaporated milk, not sweetened condenesd (OPTIONAL)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium skillet brown the chicken in the oil and butter.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more, stirring so the garlic will not burn.
- In your slow cooker add the chicken broth, water, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, salt, black pepper, and saffron.
- Turn your slow cooker to low heat and add the chicken.
- Let this mixture just simmer for 4-5 hours.
- After 4-5 hours turn slow cooker to high and let the liquid come to a boil.
- This may take 30-45 minutes.
- Add the rice (s).
- Turn your slow cooker back down to low and allow the rice to cook until it is not crunchy anymore, about 30-45 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk and let simmer for 10 more minutes.