Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
After much searching, tasting and fiddling, this is my version of the classic.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (1 inch)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, i prefer knorr
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes, this is based on making 1 3/4 gal soup (2 gal pot)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups instant rice (or 4 depends on how brothy you like soup, half as much for reg. or parboiled rice)
- 1 gallon water, approximately
- In large pot (2 gallon), add enough oil to cover bottom and put heat to high.
- Add cubed chicken and brown slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped veggies and spices, mix, cover and let cook for about 5 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Put in enough water to just cover veggies, cover, bring to a boil.
- Put in more water to reach about three inches from top.
- cover, bring to a boil, then turn down to medium low or until pot just barely boils.
- cook for about 25 minutes or until veggies tender (add reg rice here if using).
- turn off heat, add instant rice, stir, cover(keep on simmer for reg rice until tender).
- let sit for about ten minutes or until rice is tender.