Recipe by dicentra
This Mediterranean-inspired salad comes from my Food and Wine One Dish Meals cookbook. They say to pair it with a dry Riesling from Alsace in Northern France. The original recipe called for ¼ cup of golden raisins, but I’ve omitted them. Add them if you’d like.
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 2 lemons, juice of
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 1⁄3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small frying pan, toast the pine nuts over moderately low heat, stirring frequently until they are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Add the oil slowly, whisking.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the peas; cook until just barley tender, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon or strainer, transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the rice to the water and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain, return to the pot and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, bring ¼ inch of water to a simmer over moderately high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan.
- Cover, reduce the heat and simmer, turning once, until cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, let cool slightly, then cut into ½ inch chunks.
- Add the pine nuts, rice, chicken, scallions, parsley, lemon zest and dressing to the large bowl and gently stir to mix.