Recipe by Lainey6605
This is a tasty skillet meal that is very quick to put together. You can substitute vegetables, if you like. I always use broccoli. I sometimes substitute the peas for a corn, carrot and asparagus mixture I find in the frozen food section. I love those bags that you just steam partially and then add to the skillet to cook until crisp-tender. I like to brown my chicken in butter so it's very flavorful.
Top Review by Noo
A simple mid week family dish, that was easily adapted to the contents of my fridge.
I didn't have instant brown rice, so used ordinary long grain, adding more stock to it, as it wasn't going to be enough to cook it otherwise, and added a few minutes to the cooking time.
A tasty dish, that we all enjoyed.
Made for PRMR.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1 small carrot, cut into julienne strips
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in large skillet; add chicken; cook and stir until nicely browned; add salt, pepper and basil.
- Add broccoli, peas, carrots and onions; cook and stir until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Stir in broth; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice.
- Return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes; stir in cheese.