Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a modified version of a recipe from 365 Ways to Cook Chicken. It is my standard meal to take to new moms. Nearly everyone asks for the recipe! Not only does it taste delicious, the pie looks impressive, too!
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup onion (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- Preheat oven: 375.
- Put first pie crust in pie plate.
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook onion, celery, and garlic about 3 minutes.
- Add soup, milk, chicken, parsley, lime juice, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Stir and heat.
- You will be making two layers of rice each topped with a layer of chicken sauce.
- Start by spreading a layer of rice on pie crust.
- Then follow with chicken sauce.
- Top with remaining pie crust.
- Brush with a beaten egg, if desired.
- Bake 30 minutes-1 hour, depending on your oven.
Very good, hubby LOVED it. Next time I'll try it with a little less rice and a bit more liquid. I used heavy whipping cream mixed with an equal part of 1% milk instead of the whole milk and it came out with just a hint of decadence.
A filling budget family meal. A little too much rice in it for me. The rice ended up quite thick and a little gluggy with not as much flavour as I would have hoped. Kids ate it, hubby wasn't fussed on it.