Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We eat this all the time, but I never thought to post it on Recipezaar. It is so cheap, tasty, easy to make, and healthy too. It's a little bland, but perfect for when you're sick or in the mood for something simple. I thought for sure there would be a recipe for in on Recipezaar, but to my surprise, they all had things like cream of chicken soup, or french onion soup mix in them. The amounts for the spices are approximate (I usually just shake a little of each in). Hope everyone else likes it as much as we do!
- Put the chicken and water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil on high, then skim the white foamy stuff off the top. Reduce heat to med-high and add all of the seasonings.
- Cook 20-30 minutes, until chicken is cooked (bone-in chicken usually takes 30, bone-out takes 20).
- Remove chicken from pot and place on a plate until it's cool enough to handle.
- While it is cooling, skim the fat off of the broth. I use a measuring cup to do this, but if you have a fat seperator they work even better. You can leave some in, as it gives it more taste (but is less healthy). Make sure you have at least 4 cups of liquid left in the pot.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove fat and bones. Tear into bite sized pieces. Put the torn chicken back into the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then add the rice. Reduce to med-high and cook for 20 minutes, without the lid. During the last 5 minutes, stir more often as it usually starts sticking.
- Taste then season with additional salt and pepper if needed.