Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
As budget allows, splurge and buy Rice-A-Roni long grain and wild rice to substitute for the white rice. It gives the dish a more "upscale" look. Frozen veggies can also be added, and any other type seasoning can be substituted for the onion soup mix.
- 1 (6 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 boneless or skinless chicken breasts, OR bits of leftover chicken
- 1 small can French-fried onions
- about 3 springs fresh rosemary or 1 -2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry soup, canned soups, rice, milk and water in a large casserole dish. Place lid on casserole dish and cook covered for about 30 minutes.
- Gently settle chicken breasts (or stir in left over chicken) on rice; place sprigs of fresh rosemary on chicken. Replace lid and cook covered for 30-45 minutes, until chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove lid, sprinkle French-fried onions over top of chicken and rice. Put dish back in oven and cook 3-5 minutes. Stir rice before serving.