Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
As budget allows, splurge and buy Rice-A-Roni long grain and wild rice to substitute for the white rice. It gives the dish a more "upscale" look. Frozen veggies can also be added, and any other type seasoning can be substituted for the onion soup mix.
- 1 (6 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 boneless or skinless chicken breasts, OR bits of leftover chicken
- 1 small can French-fried onions
- about 3 springs fresh rosemary or 1 -2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry soup, canned soups, rice, milk and water in a large casserole dish. Place lid on casserole dish and cook covered for about 30 minutes.
- Gently settle chicken breasts (or stir in left over chicken) on rice; place sprigs of fresh rosemary on chicken. Replace lid and cook covered for 30-45 minutes, until chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove lid, sprinkle French-fried onions over top of chicken and rice. Put dish back in oven and cook 3-5 minutes. Stir rice before serving.
YUM! I added a can of chicken broth! Great one pot QUICK meal!
This was good! I was a little confused by 1 pkg (6 ounces) of onion soup mix (b/c of sodium count, MSG) so I only added 1 pkg of soup mix at 55 grams (2 oz) + 1 tsp of onion powder. Flavour was great! Also I am never sure if 3 ckn breasts means 1/2 breasts or whole. I did 3 (1/2's) w/ another filet or two I had frozen. Another note, I was paranoid about the amount of liquid b/c I used a ready made mushroom soup instead of a can of cr. of mush and only 1/2 cup of water. And SINCE I was being paranoid, I stirred the pot before I added the chicken. SO, my brown rice was uncooked at the end. Regardless, this was easy and was comforting. Thanks for your recipe, I am going to try again w/ what I have learned and make it perfect next time!!
This was a great, easy one-dish meal. I love mains with a low level of prep work and this was perfect and tasty. I skipped the french onions and forgot the rosemary, but this is full of enough flavour that these things weren't missed. Also, instead of a cup of brown rice and a cup of white, I used a cup and a third of white rice and half a cup of brown/wild rice mix. Yum!