Years ago, I got a batch of tried and true from my internet pal, Sylvia in Montreal (later of Ottawa). This is one of them. Very easy to make. Very easy to eat. This is really fast food that's good for you.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 orange
- 29.58 ml chicken stock or 29.58 ml water
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml cornstarch
- 2.46 ml sesame oil
- red pepper flakes or cayenne
- 0.25 ml hot pepper sauce
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 9.85 ml minced gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cut chicken into thin 2 inch (5 cm) long strips; set aside; cut red pepper into strips; set aside; using vegetable peeler remove thin orange rind and cut into julienne strips; set aside.
- Squeeze orange and reserve 1/4 cup (50 ml) juice in small bowl; stir in chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil, pepper flakes and hot pepper sauce; set aside.
- In wok or large skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over high heat; stir fry chicken until no longer pink inside, 3 or 4 minutes; remove
- chicken and set aside; heat remaining oil in the wok or pan; stir fry gingerroot and garlic for 10 seconds; add orange rind and red pepper, stir fry for 1 minute or until tender crisp; stir in soy sauce mixture; cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Return chicken to wok and stir until heated through.