Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A chicken curry feast for the family, that's really simple to make and you can make it as mild or as hot as you like, depending on the curry powder you use.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 ounces dried red lentils
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 ounces almonds, toasted
- Heat half of the oil in a large pan and add the onion and pepper. Cook gently for 8-10 mins, until softened. Stir in the garlic and ginger and spices, and cook for 1 - 2 mins more.
- Add the remaining oil and the chicken, and cook for 2-3 mins until coated in the spice mixture. Stir in the stock and lentils, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 25 mins, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Stir in half the yogurt and cover; simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Spoon the curry into individual bowls with basmati rice, and top with the remaining yogurt and a sprinkling of almonds.