Recipe by JustJanS
This is submitted for Ready, Set, Cook #3
Top Review by HeatherFeather
This was very good, full of flavor and vibrant with color. The directions were very clear and easy to follow. While the flavor was quite tasty, I found the sauce a bit too thin and not quite as rich as expected. Also, even after cooking the pumpkin for the full alotted time, it was still too firm after step 11, and the sauce was still rather thin. I had to let it cook at least another 10 minutes and still felt it could have stewed even longer to allow the flavor of sauce to meld with the pumpkin more. Even so, I really enjoyed this dish and look forward to making it again.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh red chilies
- 300 g skinless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- 500 g pumpkin, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 250 ml evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut essence
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a wok to hot.
- Stir-fry the sesame seeds for 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Swirl the oil in the wok to coat the sides.
- Stir-fry the onion for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger, spices and chilli and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken strips and stir fry for a couple of minutes or until all the meat has changed colour.
- Add the pumpkin and capsicum and stir fry for 2 minutes more.
- Add the liquids and essence and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer loosely covered for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender and the liquid has thickened.
- Season with salt and scatter with the toasted sesame seeds and the coriander leaves.